Where are we located?
ange Islands is located in Notre Dame Bay, Newfoundland, Canada. The island is serviced by a ferry that operates between Farewell, Change Islands, and Fogo Island. The regular crossing time from Farewell to Change Islands is approximately 25 minutes.
If you would like to hear a recording of the current ferry status & schedules for both islands please call: 1-855-621-3150 or (709) 627-3492.
For ferry schedule times and fares please visit the Newfoundland & Labrador Department of Works & Transportation's Farewell-Change Islands-Fogo ferry schedule website.
Tickets are purchased at the ticket booth in Farewell and are all return fares.
Note: there are no services at Farewell except the ferry terminal (waiting room and bathroom facilities). During the summer a chip wagon is at Farewell serving drinks, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.
The Change Islands ferry terminal (709-884-8449) on the south end of the island is open 30 minutes before the first scheduled ferry until the last departure of the day. Note: there are no services except a waiting room and bathroom facilities.
For current information on issues pertaining to the ferry service visit our Facebook page "Change Islands Ferry Information".
To visit Change Islands:
- From Gander:
- Take Highway 330 North to Georges Point, then turn left on Highway 331 and proceed across the causeway. Follow 331 through Gander Bay then turn right onto Highway 335 and proceed through Stoneville 20 kms to the ferry terminal at Farewell.
- From the West (Port-aux-Basques):
- Follow the Trans Canada Highway East to route 340, turn north and proceed to Lewisporte. At Lewisporte turn right (continuing on Highway 340) and proceed until reaching Highway 331 just before Boyds Cove. Turn right on 331 and proceed to 335 then turn left, going through Stoneville to the ferry terminal at Farewell (see above).
- From the East (St. John's):
- Follow the Trans-Canada Highway west to Gander and follow the Gander instructions above.
To visit Newfoundland:
Marine Atlantic ferries provide a vital link between the island of Newfoundland and the Canadian mainland. Ferries run between North Sydney, NS and Port Aux Basques, NL year-round, and North Sydney, NS and Argentia, NL in the summer.